Polyester stinks - help wanted

Before I begin I have to let it out: I hate Polyester. That said, I can begin to tell you of my quest to build a clear resin base. I want them to look like ice with frozen bodies trapped in it. So step by step

1. Sand 40mm bases to smooth the surface
2. Apply two layers of thinned PVA glue to make the surface even smoother
3. Build the mold
4. Build, cut in half and paint bodies (Zombie sprue)
5. Mix Clear Resin and pour it in
6. Wait...
And let me tell you- It's 30 hours later and I still wait. The stuff ist still sticky and smells like Polyester does. It stinks badly and makes my head spin if I have it in the room for a longer time. Agreed- it lookes good but it wont dry?!?

Who has experience and can give me hints? Are there alternatives for Clear Resin?

Comments

the other Kevin said…
My only experience with clear resin is through using thin layers. Seems to me, the box claims that anything over 1/8 inch should be done in layers.
Cannonfodder said…
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the tip- but my Resin doesn't say anything about it. What product did you use- have a source for me?
HuronBH said…
The clear resin I use is Alumnite 2 part and it requires you to poor it in thin layers, no more then 1/8 of an inch each if you want it to dry ever (takes 24 to 48 hours per layer on average).
Cannonfodder said…
Thanks Huron, I googled a bit and found Alumilite. Seems to be the stuff I want- but again, I can't find a dealer here in Austria.
the other Kevin said…
The stuff I've used is made by a company named Environmental Technology in California, USA. I found it in my local craft store. The product is called EnviroTex Lite pour-on finish and claims, "One thick coat equals 50 coats of varnish."

Rather than trying to find something else, try experimenting with what you have, but layer it this time.

This is a great idea. I'm hoping you can find a product that works for you.
Cannonfodder said…
Thanks Kevin, I will give the Polyester another try this evening.
Philip said…
I had a similar problem when I made my own mighty empire tiles (which I should really post sometime). Though I could demold in about 8 hours, the polyester resin I used was sticky and stank for a good month afterwards. I just hide them in back of my garage and eventually they cured fully and are now hard like cut glass.
Cannonfodder said…
Thank you Philip- A month is a long time- but if it works in the end thats ok. Mine is now parked in the cellar- still sticky though.
Da_Sub said…
This comment has been removed by the author.